12/20/2015

Kathmandu

I am a traveller, so Kathmandu is one of the many stores I visit when preparing a trip, or buying travelling staples that I don't have.

Travel stores are always ridiculously expensive, especially if you want to buy Goretex products or mountain stuff, shoes, or first quality products. However, Kathmandu is the most expensive of them all. 

Their stores are always great regarding variety of products for women, men and children, and general travel needs on offer. If they are not discounted lines, their pricing is always way more expensive than any other travel store for identical product and brand. Their own brand products are very expensive and quality is medium.
One of the few exceptions is their pocket backpack and other products in the Pack&Go range.

Their sales are epic, usually 50-60% off. However, despite the 'discount', they are still overpriced and more expensive than in other travel stores. As a rule of thumb I would recommend going to Kathmandu knowing what exactly you want and having checked pricing for the same brand and product elsewhere beforehand. I would not recommend on-the-spur-of-the-moment shopping at Kathmandu!
 
In the past I have bought a few items  that I thought were worth an investment, like merino wool layering, and found that they were just OK regarding quality. Not bad, but not worth the pricing at all.

I have visited and purchased from a good deal of Kathmandu stores in Australia and New Zealand, generally speaking, the staff are very friendly, but not as knowledgeable or with the same level of expertise as other travel chain stores. Also,  I found that there are not many people in the aisles attending to customers either, and some of them have an attitude, that is not the one I like to find anywhere where I have to expend big bucks. 

I have never bought from their website, but they offer free shipping for orders over 100%, and they are worth trying as reaching the 100$ mark is super-easy at Kathmandu