12/06/2015

Calamine Lotion

I have used every possible dermatological ointment and cream out there as I have a dermatitis-prone sensitive skin and I easily get burns and rashes 

Calamine lotion is the only product that has been able to calm my itch when I got severe rashes or burns. Overall, I got amazing results from Calamine when the rest of my dermatological creams and lotions failed, at a fraction of the price and without the need of any prescription. It did not cure the cause of the itch, but it helped me to recover quicker.  It cooled down my skin (so good if when my skin was burning!) and improved the state of my skin (which deteriorates easily from scratching). Three-in-one sort of remedy. 

Calamine lotion, being liquid, is easily spread and absorbed and a little bit of product goes a long way. I quite like the smell of the product, too! It smells of vintage :
 

Calamine lotion is not a magic potion, though. Calamine dries the skin quite a bit, which can be an issue if you have a naturally dry skin or are using it on a part of your body that is a bit dry, as Calamine will leave your skin with a "tight" feeling.  Application can be messy, as well, as the brands I have used don't have a pump dispenser, something that is so  easy to fix and so very behind in design. Finally, when you apply the lotion, even though it absorbs quickly, it leaves a dry white coat on your skin (as if you had bathed in flour), quite noticeable if you are leaving home. The white 'dust' can also transfer onto your black clothes, so beware of which clothing you are using to apply. This is nothing really, when your skin is burning and you get a bit of relief.

The pros weigh always more than the cons, and Calamine is still a great product.