4/17/2012

IGA Supermarket (Beaufort St, Perth WA)

629 Beaufort St
Mt Lawley Western Australia 6050
(08) 9328 8761
http://www.iga.net.au/igafresh/index.cfm?page_id=2339
Hours:
Mon-Sun 7:00 - 21:00
 

This was one of the first supermarkets I visited when I moved to Perth, when still was a SupaValue, and I am somewhat attached to it.

I love the location, its wide open entrance, and the many hours it is open, and that it is open even on Sunday.

The place has an halo de decay in the good sense, a sort of vintage air that attracts lots of people, from the stay-at-home mum, to the old European cranky retiree, to the coolest dude around, which is kinda cool. It is not too big or too small, the right size to move around quickly and find a good selection of staples in ten minutes.

The prices and shopping polices have changed since this SupaValue mutated into an IGA, and, despite their brochures and whatever you've been told and believe, wake up!, their prices aren't that cheap if you compare them to the prices for the same products in the nearby Coles and Woolies. Still, you will find that bread and milk have kept steady prices and are much cheaper than in most places around, and their veggies section is decently priced, too. Their specials are very good, so keep tuned and shop for them. Beware, if you go outside the basic staples and there is no offer, you could be paying much more for items that are cheaper elsewhere.

Their meat section is truly disgusting, and they use that artificial lighting that makes meat look fresh and healthy, but once you take it to your place has that pearly patina that tells you that this meat has been there since the Prehistory and could make you sick. I would say that only the organic packed chicken is worth buying there.

The veggies section is decent, but, having the Asian veggies shop around the corner, I always prefer the latter.

The frozen area, drinks, cleaning, beauty, bathroom, and health aisles are just OK, they have a bunch of basic staples, but not much variety. This wouldn't matter if, if, if, IF the sweets and chocolate section wasn't, in comparison, humongous. It doesn't make any sense to me, but, hey, it might to you!

Their hot prepared food is small but good, and good-priced. I sometimes munch on it, especially their potato bake and roasted pork/beef, full of calories, fat and yumminess!

Most of the cashiers are nice, but some of them have been consistently unwelcoming and rude in the past. Reason? Pure stupidity, because I used to go after my gym sessions wearing baggy sweaty gym clothing and a big leather tote. Each time I visited, I was asked to open my bag, just in case I was shoplifting, while people normally dressed wouldn't be asked at all. If you have a policy implement it with everybody, or should I dress like Posh Beckham to visit an average supermarket? It also piss me off that sometimes they don't apologise for charging you more for a reduced product that hasn't indeed been reduced. Being nice doesn't cost a thing.

Having said this, the people working in the aisles pricing and shelving are always nice and very helpful. And the same can be said of the people attending the hot-food section.

I like this IGA, but they need to improve their meat section, and reduce the space of sweets and chocolates in favour of more necessary things that you expect to find in a suburban supermarket. I would work on their friendly skills, too.

Smileeeeeee, I am reviewing you, with my posh handbag closed!