4/25/2012

Caffissimo at the Gallery (Perth WA)

Art Gallery of Western Australia
James St Mall
Perth Cultural Centre
Perth Western Australia 6000
(08) 9228 3100
http://www.caffissimo.com.au/

 
The coffee is bland, although I have noticed differences between the dine-in and take-away coffee.  Some days is OK. Not sure why!

The staff are nice and respectful, fast at the cashing machine and take-away, but very s-l-o-w if you decide to dine in.

The place is spacious, comfortable and contemporary in style, and well located, so it is perfect to catch up with friends, family and for work meetings in the heart of the city, in a nice quiet spot. Not too noisy, not to quiet.

The food is  not good, especially for a cafe attached to an Art Gallery. I was there this week and I ordered the "pasta of the day". I got a bowl of overcooked tasteless ugly-looking pasta. If you cook some pasta at home with jar pesto and Parmesan, it will definitely taste better than the 18-dollar pasta I got. However, if you like that sort of mushy thing go to any food hall, where it will cost you half the price, or head towards Aroma Cafe at the State Library, where the pasta is definitely better. If you want a fast service and something decent at Caffissimo order pre-cooked stuff (pies, tarts and quiches with their salad); you can get the same sort of pre-cooked thing for a trifle of the price at the Trackside Bakery, 200 metres away. I tried their sandwiches years ago, but I cannot recall anything, and, to be bluntly yours, I don't know if I will have the strength to return and try them, because, every time I visit Caffissimo, I leave with the after-taste of having wasted my money and time.

The place is always full and the only sensible reason I find for that is the location.Humans are a strange species sometimes - they gather like seagulls around places that are not always  worth the bites they get. Take me back to Pluto, please!