4/15/2012

OK Gallery (Perth WA)

5/1 Forbes Rd
Perth Western Australia 6000
(08) 6142 1215
http://www.oktachoron.com
Hours:
Tue-Fri 11:00 - 18:00
Sat-Sun 12:00 - 17:00


OK Gallery is OOkee-Dookey!

Embraced by a bunch of Chinese shops, cosily distinct from them by its outside je-ne-sais-quoi and a colourful logo, OK Gallery is a little one-room gallery for independent emerging artists and exhibitions that is also independently operated and managed. I am always thrilled with places like this because they are, to me, what Art galleries should be. Kudos to you guys just for that.

Despite the size and the conception, I felt that the place wasn't welcoming, intimate, or even well curated. The pieces needed of a better lightening, more darkness to be seen as they were conceived and supposed to be exhibited during daylight hours, but it was difficult to see anything. My lovely OK friends, a pair of shutters or canvas blinds on the windows, to move up or down with your beautiful sexy muscles when needed, are a must. If you don't take care of the lightening of an exhibition, of what are you taking care then?

I expect to find Art enthusiasts and lovers in a gallery like this. I want to feel your enthusiasm for the exhibition you are exhibiting to start with! Is that too much to ask? Otherwise you are doing the same thing that mainstream galleries do. Poses or noses don't impress anybody, but the vibe of a place. Treat the indie visitors as the rarity they are, offer your help and let the visitor decide if he/she wants to wander in silence and alone, or want to know about the art on the walls. That is the whole purpose of Art itself, the impressions, the thoughts, the words, the aha and wow moments you get from an exhibition. Are you interested in what your exhibit provoke in the viewer, or you just want to get the posh review in the Western Australian to talk about you? I am also a reviewer :O.

OK is a place with great potential, and I liked it, but I expect more. I am looking forward to returning for their next exhibition and checking if my so-so experience was just due to one of those days that we all have in which everything seems to be out of enlightenment or alignment, or both. I will update at the proper time.