4/02/2012

Situate Sculpture (Perth WA)


I was really excited about what we would get in Forrest Place, that landmark that would make Perthites proud, that piece of art that would give a special feeling to the heart of the city, reflect its spirit and enhance the lovely area of Forrest Place. Then, the sculpture by James Angus came out. Ploff ploff!

First thought that came to my mind - Are we turning Forrest Place into a playground for giant toddlers? It does look, to me, like one of those fun elements that you find in play areas in children playgrounds and parks. It also reminisces of play-dough, but without the touchability of it. It also reminisces of a frozen photographic shot of a drop of liquid splashing up and into a gelatinous bowl, but without the beauty of it. Well, there are three thoughts in here for the price of one. I am on thoughts sales today.

Second thought - It is a giant vase of the 1960s/1970s! Have you ever seen those white ceramic vases of Italian and Nordic design that are in vogue again but are so very five decades ago? No? Well, you will certainly come across one in some decorating magazine, as I did, little after the unveiling of this sculpture. The similarity was considerable.

Third thought - Do we need it to be and feel that "plasticky"? And to be that fluorescent green? The material, texture and colour you use in a sculpture is everything, more than the shape itself, and as important as the concept behind, if any. If the same piece we have now was made of bamboo, mate metal or dark wood, for example, Forrest Place would look very very different, much classier to start with, and more futuristic. Future leads to sustainability, organicity, and integration between the natural and the social, between organic and synthetic materials. so the use of only new materials is, at a certain level, quite regressive.

I truly preferred the project by Jean Bernard (https://situate.dca.wa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/32677/MetaisWeb_P3.pdf), which is indeed much more interesting and futuristic to me, or even this light and ethereal entry https://situate.dca.wa.gov.au/Gallery/gallery_7/6

I do not hate the sculpture, but I do find very difficult to love it and get enthusiastic about it. I do not think it will survive the pass of time or will become a quintessential image of Perth, in the good sense, as the Swam Bells building is, for example. The sculptures associated with the Guggenheim in Bilbao reached idiosyncratic fusion with the city from the moment they were placed there. This is hasn't happened in Perth, yet, and I doubt it will happen, but, well, I will tell you when I get to my sixties if it is still around!

Situate Sculpture is just a t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e name. I dunno, another name is needed. The Angus' reminds me of burgers, so no-no. The Next Big Green Thing? Grassy Roots? Doughreen? Futuramia? Hang on? Nice nicknames wanted!