12/06/2019

Bottega Veneta EDP by Bottega Veneta

I have three perfumes that people I don't know ask me about, and Bottega Veneta EDP is one of them.

Bottega Veneta EDP was Bottega Veneta's first ever perfume and the result was a brilliant contemporary fragrance and an instant classic.

We leave in a time in which perfumes are launched every six months, a time in which fashion trends have turned perfumes into another accessory, and in a time where mediocre or bad perfumes are packaged in pretty bottles and sold at high prices. Discovering Bottega Veneta made me belief that there is still room for old perfumiers' savoir-faire, there is the space to take the time necessary to develop an unique fragrance that is not discardable in six months or smells like any other. Old perfumiers used to take years to work and develop a perfume, and you would get something unique, a great scent and a great quality one. This is what Bottega Veneta just did with their first ever perfume for women.

Bottega Veneta EDP is classified within the Chypre family of perfumes but smells more of an light oriental woody floral turned mutant on me. The scent is sophisticated, timeless, seductive, and feminine. It has a very distinctive smell that is modern and classic at the same time. It is nobility luxury not bourgeoisie luxury. If I had to describe the smell I would tell you a story that captures the world that this perfume transports me to. Imagine you have a hut in the forest somewhere in Western Europe, and your hut is furnished with very comfortable leather furniture that smell of new; your hut is surrounded by bushes, wild berries and moss are everywhere; you have a small lemon tree in your backyard and a jasmine plant on the ledge of your window; a small breeze enters through the window and you smell everything at once and you get a multilayered earthy organic smell that is fresh and deep at the same time, something that you feel all around you.

Every essence in Bottega Veneta EDP makes sense, complements each other organically, and it is not overdone. The fragrance tantalises your senses but does not overwhelm themA priori, I am not a fan of patchouli because it reminds me of the stinky hippies of the 70s. A priori, leather is something that I would not want to smell in a feminine perfume. Although I love citrusy fragrances, I consider them summery, fresh and not very elegant.  I usually define perfumes with jasmine as 'stinky'. Moss is something wintry that smells funny. Alas! All of those ingredients are part of Bottega Veneta EDP and this is one of my all-times favourite fragrances.  

This perfume has a day-long longevity and, at least on me, it changes little from first outing, once of the lemony horses run away, to when the scent is sealed onto my skin. In a way, the fragrance is flatter than others I have, but also less deceiving when you smell it at first. The sillage is medium, enough to leave a trail when you pass by, but not too strong to make it unbearable to others.

I find this perfume perfect for autumn and winter, from morning to evening, and also good for night outings if I am not doing anything too formal. I have used for work as well, and it suits a lady-like suit. 

The minimal packaging is elegant and timeless, it does not target any age, any class, or any type of woman. It makes you look inside, to the perfume. Nothing to show off, for sure

Bottega Veneta EDP is timeless modern classicism, so the perfume is an honest representation of what the Bottega Veneta fashion house is.


The following variations on the perfume and the latest Bottega Veneta perfume suffer from the same sin as other fashion houses -- they are an object of commerce, not a perfumier's perfume and cannot compete with this little wonder

 The 30 mls bottle starts from 100+ dollars. It is worth it.