5/01/2012

Little Willy's Cafe (Northbridge, Perth WA)

267 William St
Northbridge Western Australia 6003

(08) 92288240
Website: http://www.facebook.com/LittleWillys
Hours:
    Mon-Fri 6:00 - 18:00
    Sat-Sun 8:00 - 16:00


The first thing that caught my attention in Little Willy's was, no no no, I know what you are thinking... was the name. which made me think of Kar Win Wong's movie, Norah Jones and the Little Willies. I also loved the cute mini black board at the entrance with its coloured chalky info, and the bunch of paintings on the wall, a personal place for me getting lost in my I-don't-feel-like-talking-this-morning days. Then, of course is the coffee. I thought, jeez, this is a good coffee! Nobody seems to notice the cute artsy paper cups; mind the cup, mind you?! I do! It also hit me that, well, the main barista is good-looking, as well as most workers there are. Above all, it hit me hard that the place was full of women wearing their best dresses, shoes and bags, so I thought, Oh Gosh there is a party and I am wearing my working pants! Don't worry dear coffee addict, the reason of the party is usually behind the counter and I don't think he cares about what you are wearing.

The coffee is very good and tastes of coffee, which, in these days of fasta fasta, is great. Even when there is a cue, you get your coffee quite fast, so this is another points-maker with me. I have never eaten there, but, if the burritos are so good, why isn't the cook's or cooks' name/s in the LW's hall of fame?

The energy of the place has dramatically improved since the 2011's refurbishment. I felt the previous space was oppressive and unwelcoming, with the desk in the wrong angle. At present the place is more Feng-shui, as the energy flows in the right direction, the air circulates, and the place is less claustrophobic and cue-ish and more rounded and relaxed. Oh Gosh, I should be writing for Vogue Home! The new rearrangements have brought the paintings on the wall to life, so somebody else beyond the baristas (and me) can enjoy them.

Now, who goes there? Women/men wanting to have their daily dose of the good-looking baristas, sorry it is true and good for their business. People who want a good cup of coffee, this is also true. Faux-hypsters, who have decided that this place it is just for them and, therefore, anybody who does not have their pose does not belong there. Thank Gosh there are also real hypsters, workers from the nearby offices, businesses. and the cultural centre, travellers, intellectuals, artists, students, and who's not?

The service at Little Willy's varies a lot depending on the person behind the counter, and how busy the place is. I do not expect a hug, guys, but a smile, a friendly reception, and a reply to my greetings. The French girl is very nice, Qui, c'est vrai, and is the only one who has made an effort to remember my orders in the past. Some of the other girls behind the counter are nice and welcoming, smile at you, and greet you before taking your order, while some others are unwelcoming, do not greet back, and treat you as if you were interrupting their philosophical intermittent lucubrations, if there were any. The two "Willies" are quite nice but the Small Willy is usually in the kitchen, while Big Willy is burnt out from being so hot and he doesn't smile as often as his nice teeth would like to.

An XL take-away would be a great addition to the site. I mean, how come that you haven't it already, guys?! it is a favour that you are making to Humanity.