9/10/2016

The Cafe at Hyatt Regency (East Perth)

The Café is located in the central hall of the Hyatt Regency Hotel in East Perth, facing the central fountain and the piano player. I had a High Tea session at The Café recently and a very enjoyable visit but, overall, I felt this was not proper High Tea and more a buffet experience.

The place is very pleasant, but it lack finesse and elegance, and I thought that looked like a hotel café, but not a Hyatt hotel café. Perhaps good enough for Perth, but I don't think it matches the wonderful High Tea experience I had in Rochelle Adonis a few years ago or that in other Hyatts. 

The food on the three-tier tray was  mediocre, and the sandwiches were dry and tasteless. The wrap rolls were very nice, though, especially the green one.

The savoury options were just six and mostly junk food, and nothing that makes any favour to the Hyatt. The dumpling was definitely the best item there, the rest totally average and forgettable.  


The sweet section was way more interesting, varied and I regretted not limiting myself to the sweets. I loved the mini-dessert glasses, and I tried them all! Overall quite nice, but the ones that really stood up for me were the tiramisu, the mango and lychee, and the black forest. Among the others, the strawberry lamington was lovely, as well. There were many different sort of mini-slices snf big slices from a big cake, waffles, fresh fruit and much more. If you have a sweet tooth and a big stomach, you will really enjoy it. I loved the fact that their sweets aren't overly sweet and I would have had liked having a bigger stomach to try then all!

The price is 52 and includes flowing champagne, coffee/and tea before 5pm and they are generous! I barely drink these days, but I think it will make happy most people and they stop by often to ask if one wants a refill.

The staff were here really welcoming, very attentive and friendly, and they made the visit especially pleasant for me.  The sort of people who I really enjoy in hospitality: hospitable, smiley, and genuine.

 
This is not a High Tea, but a good-priced pleasant buffet experience. You won't find anything really remarkable or gourmet, and won't need to dress up for this visit. Of course, sometimes you just want that, fill your belly, eat many things and be merry. So this place is great for that. Having the piano player in front of the café makes the experience especially pleasant if you happen to seat in the tables facing the lounge. If you want a High Tea with finesse, glamour and class, go to Rochelle Adonis in Highgate.


NOTE
There was a table with the 3-tier tray with food on an empty table. Nobody came, the food stood  there for two hours... that is unacceptable for any place, let alone for the Hyatt.