8/19/2012

3 in 1 Market @ Showgrounds (Claremont, Perth WA)

Yesterday, I visited the 3 in 1 Market at the Claremont Showgrounds. It has three areas of sale: the handmade crafts and food, the antiques and collectables area, and the polka dot vintage market. I was expecting something similar to the very charming and gorgeous "Made on the Left" market held at the State Theatre grounds a few weeks ago, just bigger. However, it was bigger but without the charm. The area is huge, one of the wings of the pavilion devoted to the antiques, and the other to the vintage and handmade stuff. The place is not very appealing, despite the large range of things on offer. It is certainly spacious, but it looks old and run down, and too linear to be called a market. More like a pop-up shop of humongous size. 

I was completely disappointed with the Polka Dot area. I wanted to find one of those short bolero jackets typical of the 50s, now so in vogue, and to see real vintage of the 50s and 60s, pretty pieces, you know, classy pieces, not pieces that were worn by grannies in the 60s. :O. There were a few nice pieces of vintage, old Australian brands vintage (Review, Alannah Hill, if that can be called vintage), but nothing really wow. To be fair, I saw a few things that were really beautiful, but not my style or size. Most things were not that cheap either, although there were some racks with all-10$clothes, which were nice. There were a few interesting corners with old vinyl music and photographic material, and lots of vintage for men, which I thought was more interesting than the women's. The handmade crafts area was also less glamorous, classy and varied than in Made on the Left, although some of the stands where also here, but not many things caught my eye. 

To my surprise, what I liked the most was the antique and collectables area. I saw super-cool, super-cute, super-beautiful and super-kitsch things, mostly kitchen and table related. I am not into collectables or antiques, but there were so many pretty pieces, some of them expensive, but some others at really bargain prices. For whatever reason I always have my antenna tuned and it takes me about 15 seconds to spot what I like among a sea of stuff. I could not stop myself, and I bought three porcelain pill boxes (to give a royal look to my tic-tacs and mints) for five bucks the lot, an individual gorgeously artistic tea Thai silver-plated colander for 15$, and a pretty silver-plated sugar spoon for 5. It was too late for me to keep going, as the grounds were closing down, a grumpy old man hasted me out, and I had wasted my time in the wrong area.

***


The toilets were clean, but a bit scary and run down. That sort of beige marbley style that yo see in underground films, and from which you want to escape as soon as your bladder has been given a relief.

Nobody was able to explain to me how to get to the train station by foot. There is a free shuttle every twenty minutes, but I would rather walk than stand waiting for a shuttle. The organisers should have simple maps of the surrounding area available for customers, or just inform the ladies at reception so they can inform customers.    

 ***
The same market will be held at the same location on November 17-18 November. Still, Made of the Left is still in my memory and very much my kind of crafty market. I should have written a review earlier on. But Alas, sometimes I waste my time on reviews on Perth public transport :O.

The markets are still on today, so, if you have one of those lazy days with not much planed, go and visit. 

TIP
The entry is 6 bucks, but if you go mid afternoon the fee is halved! Yoohoo!